Taoyuan has abundant variations of religious resource and multiple options for religious belief, including six of which that are listed in the “100 Religious Attractions in Taiwan” by Ministry of the Interior:
The texts and figures are extracted from the Taiwanese Religious Map- 100 Religious Attractions in Taiwan: https://www.taiwangods.com/html/landscape/1_001.aspx
4.Daxi Lianzuo Mountain Guanyin Temple- The Rare Temple with Layout of Five Gates and One Hall
A.Architecture with Layout of “Straight Ahead”:popular Lianzuo Mountain Guanyin Temple adopts the architecture layout as “Straight Ahead” as constructed in one straight line horizontally due to the geographic limit of insufficient range of straight depth. In the reconstruction conducted in the 9th year of Showa era of Japanese colonization (1934), the Temple was rebuilt as the layout of five gates and one hall, but maintained the specification of single entry (Straight Ahead), some of the components of the interior of the Temple were moved and the roof of the Main Hall was reconstructed as the style of “San-Chuan”, transforming the Guanyin Temple from a small-scale simple and unadorned temple into a middle size one with nine open rooms with five gates.
B.Worship Pavilion:The architecture with layout of “Straight Ahead” of Lianzuo Mountain Guanyin Temple and the Worship Pavilion in front of the Main Hall form the rare layout and specification of “single entry temple with “San-Chuan” style and pavilion in front of the hall”. The East Asian style of double hip-and-gable roof (which means placing another roof on top of the original one that is at the slopes of four corners to represent the noble and elegant character), which the general worshippers often call it “Guanyin Pavilion” to express their respect. The Pavilion was initially built in the 37th year of Meiji era of Japanese colonization (1904), and the original tetragon pavilion was replaced by the octagon double hip-and-gable roof during the reconstruction conducted in the 9th year of Showa era of Japanese colonization (1934). There is one stone lions at both front sides of the Pavilion which are painted beautifully and pretty suitable for decoration, the ancient fairy hanging baskets were also the works during the reconstruction in Japanese colonization era.
C.tructure of Octagon Caisson:There is a rare “Octagon Caisson” at the top of the Worship Pavilion, it was initially built by putting octagon wooden materials at the square beams. 24 sets of Dougong (wooden brackets) were extended upward from the interior, after three rounds, the 16 sets of Dongong would be placed to the center with another 3 rounds, then complete the rounding at the center of the Bagua symbol, making the Dougong equally distributed at the beams and support the extended eaves. It shall be noted that the 8 corners at the second round adopted Chi Tiger Bracket thaqt circled back, which was the common construction approsaach adopted by carpenters from Zhangzou during Guangxu Emperor era of Qing Dynasty.
D.Sacred Pavilion of Lianzuo Mountain:The Sacred Pavilion of Lianzuo Mountain, which locates at the spot more than 10 meters away from the right side Temple, could not be traced back to when it was built. Legend has it that it was built roughly at the same period of construction of Guanyin Temple, it was then rebuilt in the 11th year of Showa era of Japanese colonization (1936), which was roughly at the same time as the one of the Sacred Sign Pavilion near Renhai Temple at Chungli urban area, and both of them had portrayed the unique and different Western and Eastern styles. The Sacred Pavilion of Lianzuo Mountain is preserved in good shape; its structural design is the hollow square column and divided into three levels from top to bottom combined with red bricks with height of 5 meters. The roof of the Pavilion adopts the design of East Asian style of double hip-and-gable roof, on top of the level the words of horizontal scroll of “Kuei Shin Lou” are written, and worships Wenchang Dijun, the God that manages literature and examinations, and the Guardian God of students, Kuei Shin, is also placed in the level; the roaring dragons and tigers on the surface of the Pavilion are vivid, and the couplet at both sides decorated with birds and loctus, “The rich literacy is shown under this Pavilion, and the light of literature is express through stars” is written. The three words “Words Respect Pavilion” is written at the central entrance of the furnace which the ancestors used for incinerating written words, at the base of the Pavilion, the fences of Bagua layout are built.
E.Stone Lions from Xianfeng Era:The ancient stone lions from Xianfeng Era are placed at the entries of the Temple, the style is simple and unadorned and sculpted powerfully, the lions were moved to the current location to greet the worshippers.
Address:No.28, Ln. 48, Sec. 2, Rui’an Rd., Daxi Dist., Taoyuan City
Fee:Free of charge
Open Dates:24/7 for the whole year for the guidance, the Guanyin Festival is from January 1 to February 19, on June 19 and September 19 of the Lunar Calendar
Opening Hours: 6:00 A.M. ~ 7:00 P.M. in summer, 6:00 A.M. ~ 6:00 P.M. in winter
Management organization:Lianzuo Mountain Guanyin Temple