Pingzhen District: Second Urban Center of Southern Taoyuan
Pingzhen District was named Changluliao when first inhabited by the Saoguo Branch of the Pepo. When the Hakka people from Guangdong immigrated to the area during the Kangxi and Qianglong regimes of the Qing Dynasty, the indigenous people retreated to the mountainside in the south. To ensure traveling safely, local residents established checkpoints known as the "changluliao" in Hakka dialect. When the population became more centralized and the place became stable, they named it "Anpingzhen". In 1920, the place was renamed Pingzhen, meaning the peaceful town.
Centennial Red Bridge
Pingzhen Old street creek
In 1992, it was elevated into the third county municipality of Taoyuan. On December 25, 2014, it was renamed as Pingzhen District of Taoyuan City. Currently, the population is 212,073 people, and most of them are Hakka people. They majorly settled in four areas: Gaoshansia, Beishih, Longgang and Shanzaiding. The total area of the city is 47.75 km2. Since it is located in the middle part of a hilly plateau, the entire district is on a slope. To solve water supply and irrigation problems, a lot of ponds were built in the past. Today, 123 ponds are preserved and have become a distinctive feature of this district. The Pingzhen Reservoir, Bajiao Pond and Bogong Pond are the most famous among them.
Pingzhen is located in the central part of Taoyuan adjacent to Zhongli in the north. It is the passage between south and north Taoyuan. As the hinterland of Zhongli, the economic development in Pingzhen is comparable to that of the Zhongli, making it the second economic urban center of southern Taoyuan. In addition, temples in the district are religious centers for local residents and are good scenic spots, including the famous Guanglong Temple, the very popular Baojhong Temple, and the historic Jianan Temple.
Pingzhen District pilgramage activities
Pingzhen District temple