Guanyin Township: New Home for Industry and Agriculture
Guanyin Township was given the name "Shiguanyin" in the early Qing Dynasty because a farmer found a piece of white stone looking
like the Avalokitesvara. It was then renamed as Guanyin in 1920.
Though the township occupies an area of 87.98 km2, it has a population of only 62,689 people. It has the second lowest population in Taoyuan County, topping Fuxing Township. Most local residents are Hakka people and have settled in Caoluo, Xinpo and Guanyin. Caoluo is in the northeast and refers to the area in the east of Dachu. Japanese scholar Hisataka Shoji found than historical site at Caoluo in 1937 at the back of Fuxing Temple within Shulin Village . It is the oldest known Stone Age historical site in Taiwan. The Gancuan Temple, Zhuang's Ancient House, and Baishajia Lighthouse are well-known spots in the township.
Though the township has a small population, it has the largest Industrial Park which offers a lot of job opportunities in
northern Taiwan. Not only that, over 50% of the local residents practice agriculture and fishing, making Guanyin the
largest agricultural township in the county. Guanyin ranks first in pig output and second in rice paddy production in
Taoyuan County, and due to above reasons, Guanyin is proud of its balanced development of industry and agriculture.
In the future, the government will make a great effort to promote Daguan Industrial Park and Datan Power Plant, which
will definitely boost the industrial and commercial development of Guanyin Township.
Webmaster: Civil Affairs Bureau Local Governance Section Tel: 03-3322101#5603~5605